SteriPEN has discontinued the Freedom.
The SteriPEN Freedom has some unique qualities that make it a more attractive option than other SteriPEN models such as the SteriPEN Adventurer Opti and the SteriPEN Journey LCD:
- You can use the micro-USB charger to charge it with a solar charger rather than worry about carrying extra batteries or needing an electric outlet. This would be better on the go.
- it weighs 30 grams less than the Adventurer.
- it eliminates viruses (which makes it more effective than a filter, and a better choice for international travel.)
However, if traveling in North America where viruses aren't a concern, we would still recommend the Platypus GravityWorks over this SteriPen model, for these reasons:
- The combined weight of the Freedom plus a hard-sided water bottle to use it in, plus the solar charger would still likely weigh more than the Gravityworks plus a water bladder.
- Adding an electronic element to something as vital as water treatment unnecessarily complicates the system, and raises the probability that it could malfunction when you really need it. There is nothing to break on a gravity filter, so it is more reliable.
- The rechargeable battery is integrated, so if that battery stopped working or starting dying more quickly, you cannot replace it yourself, but have to send it in for a repair.
- The Freedom has the same limitations as other SteriPENs: it does not treat water on the threads of the bottle, it can only be used with certain containers, and it does not filter out particulate from your water.
Check out our full Water Filter Review to read more in depth about the different water treatment options available.