Loading a GPX File by Email
1) Get the right app
There are many great apps. Our two favorites are:
ARA GPXViewer for iTunes or Android - It's free and simple. The paid version removes ads. The downside is you can view many GPX tracks at once.
MotionX GPS - it costs $1.99 and you get A LOT for that price. You can store 300 tracks, easily record tracks and share them, see stats for your activity. Not available on Android.
2) Email a GPX file to yourself or have someone forward an email with a GPX file attached
3) Load tracks into your app
Click on a GPX file in your mail app
Click on the icon in the bottom left of the screen
Select the GPS viewing app you want to open the file with.
The track should show up and look something like this.
Loading a GPX file by Google Drive (Or Dropbox)
1) Get Google Drive for iTunes or Google Drive for Android and one of the GPX Viewing apps mentioned above like ARA GPX Viewer
2) Open a file in Google Drive
Click on the three dots in the upper right corner.
On the next screen, click "Open in"
Then choose the GPX viewing app:
You should see a track like this:
- It's still highly recommended you bring a map in case you lose power to your phone or your phone gets wet or is damaged.
- If possible, download data for offline use. You can't do this with ARA GPX viewer, but you can with MotionX and many hiking apps.
- Bring an external battery backup and charging code in case your phone loses charge faster than you think
Also, check out our article on how to mount a burly phone case to your bicycle or motorcycle.