We're Hiring! Help Us Create the World's Best Product Reviews
We're a start-up internet company with a bold mission to create the world's best outdoor gear reviews. To get a sense of the kind of reviews we create and publish, please look at our website. Our recent reviews, such as our Enduro Mountain Bike Review, will give you a sense of the level of detail and depth we strive for. You can also read about our company philosophy on our About OutdoorGearLab page.
We're currently accepting applications for: In-house Mountain Bike Reviewer and Editor and General Reviewers. Read all about the jobs and how to apply below.
In-house Mountain Bike Reviewer and Editor
We are creating a new standard for objectively comparing mountain bike performance, including extensive benchmark time trial testing and very detailed reviews. When we say something like: "Bike A climbs uphill better than a competing bike from company C or D," we articulate that advantage in seconds on the stopwatch, using a very careful process of benchmark testing and observations in riding. To see what we mean, check out our Best Enduro Mountain Bike Review and Best Trail Mountain Bike Review.
We are now increasing the efficiency of our process to review even more bikes, that's where you come in. As an in-house Mountain Bike Tester and Review Writer, you will work directly with our Senior Review Editor and our team of elite test riders to plan and implement testing protocols that provide the detailed side-by-side comparison, ratings and rankings that are the hallmark of our reviews.
Qualified Applicants Will Be:
- A passionate and experienced mountain biker with at least 5 years of riding and a high comfort level pushing it in varying and rugged terrain (we prefer 10+)
- Experienced with long form writing and be able to provide several long form writing samples
- Passionate about keeping up with the evolution of MTB components and frames
- Comfortable with basic bicycle mechanics (bike shop mechanic experience preferred)
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management and Logistics — work with our senior editor to coordinate and manage the multi-person effort to test, benchmark and rate the products
- Bike Maintenance — you will be primarily responsible for coordinating bike maintenance (with the help of mechanics) to keep bikes in perfect testing condition throughout the 3 to 6 week testing process
- Interviewing — while we'd expect you to personally ride each bike and gain direct hands on experience, you'd also need to work closely with our senior editor and a team of reviewer/benchmark testers to develop a strong set of test data, analyze our test findings, learn perceptions about each bike, and probe deeply to discover why different bikes are rated differently on various performance metrics
- Writing — work with our senior editor to bring it all together into words and pictures that will help readers make smarter decisions on bikes, and choose the best bike to fit their style, budget, and aspirations
- Editing — while the senior review editor will write the bulk of important reviews, you will aid in the process and also help manage outside reviewers who work as independent contractors on less mission-critical categories (i.e. bike seats, bike computers, bike shoes, etc).
Our ideal candidate has a college degree, at least five years writing experience and is very detail oriented with strong writing and analytical skills. As you can see from our examples, we create long and detailed reviews, so your longer and/or more technical writing samples will be relevant for us to evaluate your application. Extensive experience with mountain bikes and components are also a must for this role.
Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office is required. Prior experience with blogging systems and/or web content systems will give you a leg up over other candidates (but isn't strictly required).
This full-time position will be located in South Lake Tahoe and offers competitive compensation. If you are interested in applying for our In-house Mountain Bike Review Tester and Writer position, please send your resume and several examples of your writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our freelance reviewers work as independent contractors out of their own homes on a part-time basis.
The general scope of work involves testing all the products we select for a category (like backpacking water filters, or fleece jackets), rating each, then creating a detailed written review of each product. Note that unlike a lot of other websites, we don't review just one product but rather have a reviewer take on the entire category and test all products side-by-side). You will use and test each product with a critical eye toward scoring it against four to six rating criteria. As our reviews are detailed and long, only prolific writers need apply. We will provide you with the products to test and a set of rating metrics on which to evaluate each product.
Your job as an OutdoorGearLab reviewer is to familiarize yourself with the category as a whole as well as each product, research existing user-reviews on each, rate each product on the category metrics, take photos/videos of the products in use, help select the award winners, write up the review for each product, write the best-in-class award overview review, write the buying advice article, and write a description of how we test. We'll be particularly interested in looking at your longer and/or more technical writing samples. Compensation varies depending on each category's complexity and the number of products be tested, but typically ranges from $1,700 to $2,500 for a full category review project.
Current openings in the following areas of expertise. Eligible candidates must be located in the Lake Tahoe region:
- No current openings.
If you have expertise outside of the above, and would like to be considered should a freelance review opportunity arise in other categories, please don't hesitate to send in an application and let us know of your area(s) of interest. We will keep your information on file.
If you are interested in applying to become a reviewer for OutdoorGearLab, please send your resume, information on your areas of expertise, and examples of your writing to: email@example.com