The main gear editor for this review (Chris McNamara) used to think flip flops were just for the beach vacations. That was when he lived in part of the San Francisco Bay Area that gets fog all summer. (For those who don't know, summer in some parts of the Bay Area often happens for two weeks in May and two weeks in October). Then he moved to a part of the Bay Area that has warm weather all summer. A flip flop obsession was born. There were two main realizations:
- If you live in a warm climate, you can wear flip flops all the time
- If you are going to wear flip flops all the time, they need to be a little burlier than $10 grocery store jobs.
So Chris and the Gear Editors set out to find the ultimate flip flop to wear all day everywhere. In fact we are wearing them while we write this review.
Some of the things we did:
- Bouldering on the beach in Guard Brazil
- Stand up paddling in San Francisco Bay
- Bike commuting 20 miles a day for six months
- Hanging around coffee shops… a lot.
- Hiking and sailing around the San Juan Islands
- Beach testing on the North Shore of Oahu
- Moving between apartments